The History of Hewitt's & Bailey & Sons
Over 140 Years in Berkhamsted, we are a fourth generation family jewellers and proud of it!
The Hewitt’s family jewellery business was founded in London in 1919 by Fred Hewitt. Fred’s son Ron was interested in the trade so he joined the business in the early 1950’s.
In the 1960’s Ron decided to purchase a shop in Amersham and named it Hewitt’s Jewellers and the London shop closed. Ron’s son Nigel was keen to join the family business in 1974.
In 1976 Jane joined the company as a Sales Assistant and worked with Fred, Ron & Nigel making it a 3rd generation family jewellers.
When the option to buy a family run jewellers in Berkhamsted, Bailey & Sons on Castle Street came in 1981, Nigel & Jane took on the shop. Fred passed away shortly after but never retired as he loved the business.
Bailey & Sons was very run down and Nigel re-energised the shop so that within two years he had turned it into a thriving business. In November 1983 the move to the premises on Lower Kings Road took place. The subsequent large extension out the back enabled them to expand the beautiful stock.
Jane and Nigel married in 1986 and Ron retired in 1987 so ceased business in Amersham, therefore leaving Nigel and Jane to run Bailey & Sons.
‘Bailey & Sons was founded in 1872 by the Bailey Family and in 1929 Mr Sparkes became a partner in the business. When he died in 1968 his wife continued with the business until the Hewitt’s purchased it in May 1981’
In 1989 Jane left to start a family as Charlotte was born. 16 Years on in 2005, Charlotte joined the business, making Bailey & Sons a fourth generation family business which they are very proud of.
Bailey & Sons would love to show you in detail their Fine Quality Jewellery.